Post traumatic stress disorder has been estimated to affect 8% of Canadians. Unlike physical injuries, trauma related mental health injuries such as PTSD often go under-diagnosed and under-treated for years before effective care is initiated.
Learn how to identify and accurately diagnose PTSD in your practice and develop an evidence-based approach to caring for your patients and their families struggling with this illness.
- When: Friday, 29 May 2015
- Where: Ottawa Conference & Event Centre
- Hosted by: Academy of Medicine Ottawa
- Understand the history, etiology and diagnostic criteria for PTSD.
- Develop an evidenced-based treatment approach for patients suffering from PTSD including psychopharmacologic and psychotherapeutic modalities.
- Understand the impact of PTSD on individuals and their families and learn where to get support.
- Develop an awareness for common comorbid conditions such as substance abuse disorders and gain an appreciation for effective management techniques.
PTSD: A Canadian Armed Forces perspective
Colonel H. Colin MacKay, OMM, CD, MD, MHSc, Deputy Surgeon General, Canadian Armed Forces
- History, etiologiy and diagnosis of PTSD, Dr George Fraser
- Pharmacotherapy for PTSD, Dr Paul Sedge
- Evidence based psychological treatments for PTSD, Dr Trudy Walsh
- PTSD, the family and community resources, Mireille Bujold
- Understanding substance use and PTSD, Dr Gilles Fleury
The program will include three facilitated sessions with testimonials from patients, spouse and a first responder. It will close with a speakers’ wrap-up Q&A.
This program has been accredited by the College of Family Physicians of Canada and the Ontario Chapter for up to 5.5 Mainpro-M1 credits. This event is an accredited group learning activity (section 1) as defined by the Maintenance of Certification Program of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, approved by the Canadian Psychiatric Association (CPA). The specific opinions and content of this event are not necessarily those of the CPA, and are the responsibility of the organizer(s) alone.
Includes continental breakfast, nutritional morning snack and lunch. Parking is free.
- Download the brochure
- Complete online registration and payment by credit card
- Download registration form if paying by cheque
Physicians (AMO Members): $130
Physicians (Non-members): $200
Residents and Medical Students: $100
Health Professionals: $100