Mrs. Solo is your elderly, widowed patient living alone in her home. Mrs. Solo has dementia and requires assistance for managing some of her activities of daily living. You feel she is at risk of being taken advantage of by unscrupulous so-called “friends”. What can you do to keep her safe? How can the consent and capacity laws help you, or not, to provide the most appropriate care for her? What community resources can help you?
Seniors at risk, living in the community, are a challenge for families and physicians. The RGAC Primary Care Subcommittee and the University of Ottawa CPD Office invite you to participate in a CME accredited webinar series on the topic of Capacity. These webinars present an opportunity for primary care physicians, and other health care professionals to learn more about capacity and consent, ask questions, and learn about related resources.
A 3-Part Webinar Series
Presenter: Dr. Louise Carrier MD FRCPC, Geriatric Psychiatrist, Medical Director of Geriatric Psychiatry Community Services Ottawa
- Session One: Capacity to Consent to Treatment – November 18, 2014 – Completed and archived at http://18.104.22.168/p6bxa5nrqh5/
- Session Two: Capacity to Consent to Admission to Care Facility – December 16, 2014 – Completed and archived at http://22.214.171.124/p6l52e6pcr7/
- Session Three: Capacity to Consent to Property – January 20, 2015
At the completion of this webinar series, you will be able to:
- Define the meaning of capacity and consent for decisions related to the specific topic
- Assess capacity and identify seniors at risk
- Develop an action plan that appropriately integrates the principles of capacity and consent
This program meets the accreditation criteria of the College of Family Physicians of Canada and has been accredited by the University of Ottawa, Office of Continuing Professional Development for up to 0.5 Mainpro-M1 credits per session.
Before the day of the webinar
If you have not previously used Adobe Connect, ensure that your computer and network connections are configured to provide you with the best possible experience by running a test at http://www.adobe.com/go/meeting_test.
Email your questions to Kelly Lumley-Leger at email@example.com